Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/caarrie/public_html/glompzilla.com/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Construct
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Construct  (Read 7081 times)
Bamko
Administrator

« on: December 02, 2009, 10:38:27 AM »

Seems to be an interesting project but less advanced than many other options.  Does not seem as user friendly as sandbox OR Blender game engine. 
http://www.scirra.com/ constructs site, Downloaded from sourceforge:

tutorial on using

Might be worth looking into if has networking options, but sure looks like 2d GCoS option at this time.
Hukai
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 11:56:43 PM »

Construct is nothing special but for anyone wanting to make a 2D game it does have appeal. They use a pretty simple GUI that allows you to set up all your features using snippets of code and imported graphics. So any non-coder could build a simple game easily. Their event sheet editor is pretty decent and allows you to really put your vision into your creation. Though don't expect to make a game then sell it on the market with this application. It is more of a toy in my personal opinion. While good in it's own respect, it isn't going to be a choice for any serious developer. Not to say it cannot be used to make that wondrous 2D game you've always dreamed about playing, but I wouldn't hold my breath if you intend to market any products from it.

Like taking an easy bake oven with the ingredients the company provided to you when you took it out of the box, then attempting to open a bakery. While possible, it isn't probable.
Bamko
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 11:05:43 AM »

having said all of this, we are both currently looking at becomeing more adept with this, and see what can be done.  It will not be our final recipe, but then, what will be?  If you have information or skills with Construct, Please post?

I would like to see the wiki get a recipe, with examples and demos.  Their site has good information, but again, Glompzilla is to determine if something is worth playing with, and to, hopefully, get a quick overview to compare apples and apples and the random orange.  I am finding it takes about 10-20 hours to even get a good handle what external projects can, and cannot, do.  Ideally we can use the Glomp to reduce that to minutes, instead of hours.

Hukai
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 11:27:19 AM »

After further use of this application its capabilities become a little more easy to grasp. The learning curve is still somewhat steep but quite a bit less than that of coding your own game. Don't expect to just jump in and create your game in a few clicks of your mouse (unless your building something seriously simple.) It helps to keep a coding mindset, and use your problem solving skills. The community has shared a lot of good information to help understand certain elements. I'll retract my statement that "Construct is nothing special" as it is quite handy. But I will stick by my previous opinion that it feels more like a toy. While you can produce professional results, it's still less probable to be a professional solution.

It's worth using as a prototyping tool as well as getting started in game creation. I'll continue to explore it and learn what I can from it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 134
  • Total Topics: 96
  • Online Today: 23
  • Online Ever: 305
  • (November 15, 2018, 12:00:32 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 3
Total: 3

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 21, 2019, 07:35:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

ShoutBox!

Permissions

TinyPortal © 2005-2012